Programme for Agro-Business Induced Growth in the Amhara National Regional State (Agro-BIG)
Agro-BIG is an Agricultural Development programme using the Value Chain Approach to develop smallholder agriculture. The overall objective of the Programme is to contribute to poverty reduction through agriculture based economic growth. The purpose is to establish efficient and profitable value chains of selected crops/products benefitting the involved actors.
The instruments used to implement Agro-BIG are captured in three vertical components.
Component 1 – Value Chain Development
- This component brings actors together and establishes formal and informal linkages. Networking platforms are created to identify problems and solutions and can be used to develop action plans to increase profitability along the value chain
Component 2 – Service Delivery Development
- This component develops the service provision to the value chain actors to increase production, trading, processing, retailing or marketing
Component 3 – Access to finance
- This component enhances saving and credit facilities to value chain, and make funds available for research innovation
Cross-cutting issues: gender, socio-economic issues and environmentally sustainable development and adaptation to climate change are addressed across the value chain development programme (which mainly focus on horticulture, including onions and potato).
The Programme is targeted at three groups of beneficiaries:
- Poor farmer communities and households within the selected areas
- Agricultural cooperatives and agro-processing companies
- Public and private sector organizations benefitting from Programme's capacity building activities