Sustainable Management of Land and Environment in Zanzibar (SMOLE) Phase II
The Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar and The Government of Finland through its Ministry for Foreign Affairs have agreed on a second phase of Sustain-able Management of Land and Environment Programme (SMOLE II) for 4 years (2010-2013). SMOLE II’s implementing line ministries are the Ministry of Construction, Water, Energy and Lands (MWCEL) and the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Environment (MALE) of Zanzibar. The key implementing departments are:
1) Department of Surveys and Mapping (DoSM);
2) Department of Lands and Registration (DoLR);
3) Department of Rural and Urban Planning (DoURP);
4) Department of Environment (DoE) and;
5) Department of Forestry and Non-Renewable Natural Resources (DoFNRNR).
DoSM, DoLR and DoURP are all under Ministry of Lands, Housing, Water and Energy of Zanzibar (MLHWE). DoE is administratively under the First Vice President’s Office of Zanzibar (FVPO) and DoFNRNR is under Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources (MANR).
The second phase of SMOLE, which supports implementation of the Zanzibar Strategy for Growth and Reduction of Poverty (ZSGRP/MKUZA), has the general objective of reducing absolute poverty in the society through environmentally sound land management and socio-economic development.
The Programme has two main components:
1. Support to Land Management, Planning, Spatial Data Application and Ad-ministration, implemented by DoSM, DoLR and DoURP (Component 1).
2. Strengthening Environmental Management, Natural Resources and Forestry development, implemented by DoE and DoFNRNR (Component 2).
The Programme is jointly funded by Government of Finland (9 million Euro) and Government of Zanzibar (300,000 Euro) and is designed to continue and develop further the successful processes of the first phase of SMOLE and especially to invest significantly in strengthening the targeted institutions and their capacities.